A Laser tattoo removal guide with our specialists. We have chosen the Picocare laser to remove pigment across all colours, skin types and eyebrow tattoo removal. We chose this above the Picosure laser for tattoo removal as well as Q Switch lasers with nanotechnology. The cost of laser tattoo removal is dependent on several factors, primarily by the size of the tattoo and the number of sessions required.
What steps are involved in Laser Treatment Removal?
The first step is to come in for a free consultation with our laser Nurse Megan McCrae
- In the initial free appointment, they will go over what is involved before, during and after laser removal sessions.
- Discussion about using numbing creams and aftercare.
- Decide on the treatment course, with an evaluation of the number of sessions, with the Kirby-Desai Scale as a guide.
- Cryo-cooler or Zimmer is used before, during and after treatment.
- Aftercare pack & supplements available to speed healing.
Our Laser Tattoo Removal Specialists
Megan McCrae – 15 years of experience.
Megan is a Registered Nurse who first fell in love with laser working as a Tattoo laser therapist. She has progressed to become an expert in skin rejuvenation, especially Asian skin rejuvenation using the picosure laser & pigmentation removal & skin rejuvenation. Megan has developed a niche for skin rejuvenation with open licences across all laser types. She has worked continuously as a laser tattoo therapist for 15 years. As well as a trainer for all kinds of lasers across Brisbane.
Eyebrow Tattoo Removal
Catherine has a niche practice for eyebrow tattoo removal. Understanding the different nature of the delicate skin around the eyebrow as well as the various pigments used for eyebrow tattoo removal. She is one of a couple of laser therapist in Brisbane experienced in eyebrow tattoo removal.
Laser Tattoo Removal Process.
Laser tattoo removal takes several sessions to fade the pigment. The course of treatment depends on how old the tattoo is, whether it is professional or amateur, the colours, and your skin type. Use of numbing cream before treatment and even aftercare and healing process impact on how active each laser session is. Ergo how many treatments you require. After each session, there is a period of gradual fading of tattoo pigment, which can also vary between individuals.
- Generally 3- 10 or more treatments are required, depending on several factors.
- We sell our treatments in packages to help with the cost of treatment.
- Minimum of six weeks between treatments for gradual fading, but sometimes it is best to leave it for 8 -12 weeks between treatments.
Laser Tattoo Removal Cost – 50% Off
The removal price per session is from $150 up to $660 for a full a4 size tattoo. This varies according to the size of your tattoo. The overall cost is determined by the number of treatments required times the cost per treatment.
Though it is difficult to be fully accurate utilising the Kirby-Desai scale allows a closer estimate to the number of sessions that may be required. The emphasis is on an estimate as the Kirby-Desai scale is about 80% accurate. See the full calculation below.
Picosecond Laser Tattoo Removal
The picosecond tattoo lasers are reported to be less painful, require fewer treatments and to be safer for skin types 3 & above. But the ultimate outcome depends on the experience and knowledge of the tattoo removal therapists.
We do not aim to be the cheapest, we aim for safety and experience. We have two highly experienced laser tattoo removal specialists.
How does Laser Tattoo Removal Work?
Laser tattoo removal uses wavelengths of light to shatter tattoo ink. Phagocytes and your lymphatic system reabsorb the broken ink. With the invention of Q-switch lasers allowed ultrashort (nanosecond) bursts of light to remove tattoo ink and skin pigmentation safely. The Picosure laser was the first picosecond laser. However, Picosure lasers advanced when second-generation lasers Picocare and Picoplus came onto the market.
Picocare vs Picosure Laser
- Picocare delivers both nanosecond and picosecond light pulses. The best outcome for tattoo ink treatment is to use combinations of nanosecond and picosecond light pulses. Unlike the first Picosure laser, Picocare can deliver both types of light pulses. Thus improving the laser removal outcomes.
- Picocare laser has four wavelengths to treat all tattoo ink colours. (532nm, 1064nm, 595nm, 660nm) Picosure laser has only 2. (755 nm, 532 nm)
- The Picocare is a more powerful laser. 1064 nm wavelength peak power 1.33 gw vs Picosure laser 0.36gw for the 755nm wavelength.
- Picosecond lasers are reportedly less painful than nanosecond lasers.
So although the picosure laser was marketed as the ultimate machine for treating tattoos, it fell way short of these promises. It did, however, prove to be an exceptionally effective laser for ethnic and Asian skin rejuvenation and melasma treatment.
Kirby-Desai Scale for Laser Tattoo Removal
The Kirby-Desai scale arose out of a study conducted in 2009 and concluded the 6 main factors determining how many sessions would be required for effective laser tattoo removal.
The factors are:
1. Patient skin type 1-6. With fairer skin types requiring fewer sessions. This is because the risks to darker skin types mean that the treatment protocols have to be dialled down. This is partially addressed by Picosure laser, which produces less heat and therefore more effective treatment settings can be used.
2. Location of the Tattoo: 1-5 With tattoos closer to the heart requiring fewer treatments.
3. Colours of Ink: 1-4. Each colour in the tattoo requires a different wavelength to remove it. Black is the easiest as it absorbs every wavelength.
4. Amount of Ink 1-4 — Amateur tattoos, generally have less ink, placed more superficially.
5. Scarring/ Tissue change. 0-5 Sometimes tattoo application can cause scarring or tissue change and the worse this is the more tattoo removal sessions required.
6. Layering/ Cover-ups. 0-2. Sometimes people have attempted to conceal previous tattoos by covering them with a new tattoo. If this happens generally the newer tattoo has more ink and is larger, and must be removed first prior to the old tattoo removal.