PRP For Hair Loss
PRP is a low-risk treatment for early hair loss that utilises your own plasma to kick-start hair growth. PRP hair loss treatment has moderate efficacy and costs less than hair transplant surgery. It works for both male and female pattern hair loss. The earlier it is started, the better the outcome. PRP for hair loss is not effective in 100% of cases, though the reason for this is not understood.
1. PRP for hair loss stops the progression of baldness by prolonging the growth cycle.
2. PRP hair treatment reactivates dormant hair follicles.
3. Thicker hair replaces shedding thinner hair.
Used early it a non-surgical alternative for men and women with hair thinning. There are limitations to hair transplant surgery, so it is important to maintain and stabilise hair growth and slow down the progression of loss in early stages with PRP hair treatment.
What Is PRP Hair Treatment?
PRP is a preparation of concentrated platelets. (Called platelet-rich plasma) and works by the release of growth factors into the skin. Platelet rich plasma was first used in the cosmetic field for treatment of acne scarring and wrinkles. But this treatment is used widely now for not only hair restoration but also in a wide range of medical treatments.
- The platelets are obtained from a blood sample, taken immediately before treatment.
- The blood is centrifuged to obtain a platelet concentrate called platelet-rich plasma (PRP).
- On activation, the platelets release numerous growth factors (including IGF, EGF).
- Activation occurs naturally on injection into the skin or with the addition of calcium chloride to the plasma.
PRP Hair Treatment – What Is Involved?
- Before PRP hair treatment the area must be sufficiently numbed.
- A topical anaesthetic is applied 1 hour before treatment.
- The area to be injected is cleaned with medical antiseptic.
- PRP for hair treatment is injected into your scalp this allows a very accurate depth of penetration and improves the outcome of PRP hair restoration.
How Many PRP for Hair Loss Sessions Will I Require?
- Four treatments in total are recommended, repeated every two weeks.
- Research has shown a significant reduction in hair loss and high satisfaction with the treatment outcome after a cycle of treatments.
PRP Hair Treatment Cost
- As a minimum, a series of 4 sessions spaced fortnightly to monthly so we offer packages.
- Single price: $790
- 4 pack PRP $2660 including LED complimentary afterwards.
- There is a consultation fee to see our Doctor of $80 but if you proceed with treatment this will be deducted from the PRP hair treatment cost package.
- You will need to purchase “hair science foam” – a 3 month supply is $260 (women) – $280 (men) as optimal results require a multipronged approach.
- An appropriate shampoo is also advised and we do stock Proparia Hair Loss Shampoo.
PRP for Hair Loss Treatment includes a session under LED as this combination improves the therapeutic outcome.
PDO Thread Hair Loss Treatment
Hair loss treatment with PDO threads is a one-off treatment. The cost varies according to the number of threads required.
Generally, 50 threads would be placed – $1999.
Once again Hair Science Foam is advised.
Diagnosis before PRP Injections for Hair Loss
PRP will only work with male and female pattern baldness, so obtaining a correct diagnosis is important to develop a proper approach. The majority of hair loss in men is male pattern baldness, and nearly 50% of women is female pattern hair loss. It is essential to treat underlying medical conditions. Early PRP injections for hair loss is more effective, so it is important to seek help as soon as you notice a thinning or receding hairline.
There is no baldness cure, once the head is bald treatment can include cosmetic options such as scalp micropigmentation (hair tattoo) or a surgical solution such as hair transplant surgery. Other cosmetic solutions include hair pieces and wigs or embracing baldness with a shave.
Laser Light Therapy to Regrow Hair
Laser hair therapy is a hair loss treatment for men and women. It is not a laser but phototherapy of LED light therapy. Low-level light (LLL) treatment for hair regrowth was a serendipitous discovery and has gained a significant place in regrowing hair in the early stages of thinning. Laser hair therapy works in to transform small vellus hair into terminal hair follicles, increasing the density, colour and thickness of hair.
Laser hair treatment uses infrared light to upregulate HGF (a growth factor in the scalp) which results in an increasing number of anagen hair follicles with a decrease in inflammatory infiltrates.
PDO Threads for Hair Loss
Recently introduced to Australia, PDO threads are better known as the Korean Facelift or V Lift. Studies have not commenced on single treatment placement of PDO threads into the dermis and showing positive results. We are now offering PDO Threads as an alternative or adjunctive treatment to PRP injections for hair loss.