Dermapen acne scar treatment is a microneedling, collagen induction therapy. There are several different collagen induction therapies, which work to varying degrees. These therapies include radiofrequency microneedling, sublative rf, fractional CO2 laser, Fraxel laser, Dermapen and dermaroller skin needling.
Though microneedling is useful for a broad range of skin rejuvenation, some work better than others. To understand which microneedling for acne scars is the best, it is helpful to have an understanding of how they work.
What Is Collagen Induction Therapy?
All collagen induction therapies (C.I.T) work by laying down new collagen to improve the appearance of the skin. The first step is to break down the scar collagen, releasing growth factors which stimulate fibroblasts to lay down new healthy collagen. The process is a controlled injury to the skin. The CIT’S used for acne scars include microneedling, radiofrequency and laser. So whether it is fractional CO2 laser, radiofrequency microneedling they all act by first breaking down the scar collagen, so your bodies natural repair can create healthier new collagen. Microneedling and laser for acne scars vary in the degree of effectiveness.
Most Effective Collagen Induction Therapy For Acne Scars.
- Radiofrequency microneedling such as Infini and secret rf: – radiofrequency microneedling is an advancement of Dermaroller and dermapen for acne scar treatment. This treatment works by inserting needles under the skin and then discharging radiofrequency in the dermis. It can surpass the effectiveness of lasers for some types of acne scars.
- Laser for acne scars has long been the most effective treatment for deep and severe acne scars. Fractional CO2 laser remains a useful tool for some forms of acne scars. However radiofrequency microneedling is rapidly replacing even high power CO2 laser treatments in many instances.
- TCA cross and subcision: Though not strictly CIT’s they are the most effective treatments for some forms of acne scars.
- Sublative rf. E Matrix and another dermal stamping radiofrequency treatments. These treatments are valid for new acne scars. However, for established and deep acne scars you will need a higher powered treatment such as radiofrequency microneedling or lasers.
- Dermapen: This is a more advanced form of microneedling for acne scarring. It is more controlled and once again effective for some types of acne scars.
- Dermaroller: Skin needling with the dermaroller is an entry-level treatment. Dermarollers do work, but there are more advanced treatments that are not only more efficient but also work more rapidly. Home Dermarollers can now be purchased.
Call Us On 3350 5447 For an obligation free assessment or
EMAIL Any Questions.
Dermaroller vs Dermapen for Skin Needling.
Skin needling was first introduced using the dermaroller, after the observation that needling of scar tissue reduced the scar to give a healthier skin surface. More advanced Dermapen microneedling techniques have replaced the Dermaroller. Though the dermaroller is useful, it causes surface skin tearing. With the Dermapen the depth of penetration can be adjusted according to the to scar or skin condition being treated. Dermapen microneedling gives a more accurate and less traumatic treatment.
What Is Involved In Acne Scar Needling With Dermapen?
- One hour before acne scar needling Topical Anesthetic is applied to numb the area
- The small needle penetrates through the surface layer of skin
- With proper numbing, you should feel tiny, except towards the end of treatment it can become bitey
- immediately after treatment your face will be red and feel uncomfortable
- The surface layers seal and heal quickly
- day two you can use a suitable mineral or cosmetic makeup
- Over the next six weeks to 3 months, you begin to see the results from the acne scar needling
What To Expect After Dermapen Skin Needling.
• There will be redness and swelling that last 1-2 days after treatment. Some people with more sensitive skin or with a tendency to swelling this can last longer.
• Bruising is rare but occasionally does occur and can take up to 7 days to subside.
• 3-5 days after the acne scar needling there can be flaking or peeling of the skin, depending on the depth of needling.
The surface of your skin seals and heals quickly, after about a week your skin is pretty much back to normal. Under the skin, the process of collagen remodelling starts. The collagen induction peaks at 12 weeks but can continue for up to 12 months.
How Much Improvement Can I Expect With Skin Needling?
- The results of skin needling are progressive over several treatments.
- Generally 3- 6 treatments are recommended in a package, spaced six weeks apart.
- The number of treatments depends on your response to treatments.
The results are individual and can depend on factors such as your general skin health as well as your intake of fresh fruit and vegetables. It is also best to take Vitamin C & Zinc before treatment can improve results.
What can you do to improve the outcome?
- Start on prescription Vitamin A cream at least two weeks before treatment.
- Eat a healthy diet with fresh fruit & vegetables.
- Consider taking Vitamin c & Zinc while you are receiving treatment.
What Are The Side Effects Of Dermapen Skin Needling?
Side effects of skin needling are rare but can include:
- Infection. If you have a history of cold sores, we ask you to take precaution beforehand.
- Bruising is rare, and this can be lessened by taking arnica before if you tend to bruising, or use of Hirudoid cream once the skin has healed. (after five days)
- Prolonged/delayed swelling is very rare. Swelling can be treated with an antihistamine.
- Depigmentation or hyperpigmentation is also very rare but can occur.
If there are unexpected outcomes after treatment, it is essential to call us.
How Much Does Dermapen Skin Needling Cost?
Dermapen small area – both cheeks cost 240
Dermapen Skin Needling large areas costs 330
Is Acne Scar Needling or eMatrix Best For You?
We offer you a free assessment with our experienced Cosmetic Doctors, Nurses & Dermal Therapists. We will assess your skin and be able to discuss your treatment options.
Call Us On 3350 5447 For A Free Consultation.
Email Us With Any Queries.
Options For Acne Scar Treatment
There are other options for acne scar treatment. The recommended treatment varies depending on the type of scarring and severity. Please see our acne scar treatment page for a more in-depth discussion on acne scar treatments.
Dermapen Skin Needling Quick Facts.
- Skin needling works by breaking down acne scar and stimulating new collagen to fill under scarred areas.
- Dermapen skin needling is non-laser fractional resurfacing
- Skin needling can be used for all skin types (light to dark)
- No referral is required; you can book in for a free assessment with our therapists.
- Skin needling works by remodelling collagen under the acne scars
Call Us On 3350 5447 For A Free Consultation.
Email Us With Any Queries.
Dermapen Skin Needling Vs Laser For Acne Scars.
Lasers can achieve superior results with some types of acne scarring and better treatment for old and severe scarring.
The advantages of Dermapen skin needling are:
• Less downtime
• Costs much less from 330 per session.
• Can be used for all skin types.
Dermapen Microneedling Vs eMatrix For Acne Scars.
Dermapen microneedling is a treatment that stimulates your skins natural healing to reduce acne scars. In our practice we now mainly use
eMatrix a sublative radiofrequency for treatment of acne scars. EMatrix costs the same as Dermapen treatment.
EMatrix is another collagen induction therapy, causing controlled dermal damage, breaking down scar collagen and stimulating new collagen production.
Cost Of eMatrix vs Dermapen Skin Needling?
eMatrix costs $345 per treatment in a package of two. Four treatments are generally (Some people do need more). The overall cost of the eMatrix is less than Dermapen microneedling. Also, the results are faster and fewer treatments are required.
Dermapen Skin Needling Vs PRP For Acne Scars.
PRP or platelet-rich plasma injections using mesotherapy for injection couple the advantages of skin needling with additional growth factors (and sometimes dermal fillers) injected in a controlled and accurate way into your skin.
PRP is a medical treatment, also known as the Vampire Facial. For free
How Does Collagen Induction Therapy Work To Rejuvenate & Repair Scar?
- To remodel any scar you need:
Firstly to break down the areas of scar collagen and
Secondly to stimulate new collagen to repair the zones of the scarring.
Skin needling achieves this by physically breaking down the scar, causing the release of growth factors which stimulate new collagen production.
Dermaroller Skin Needling History
Dermaroller acne scar needling was introduced by South African Plastic Surgeon and founder of Environ skin care. The dermaroller was a revolution at that time.
Skin Needling has been a recognised treatment option for Acne Scars for over a decade.
The original microneedling was performed with a tattoo gun. With evolution the dermaroller was introduced, then Dermapen and other forms of microneedling.
As time progressed other minimally invasive technology and treatment have replaced Dermapen, fractional laser therapy, PRP, radio frequency resurfacing and dermal stamping.
With advances in tattooing techniques and improvement in equipment, there is once again a place for paramedical scar revision and tattoo camouflage.
The first step is a free assessment with our therapist.