Sun damage is the primary cause of wrinkling and facial ageing. This damage is cumulative: even small doses add up weekly, monthly, yearly to premature ageing. UV radiation from the sun damages collagen and elastin causes free radical production and skin inflammation and makes your skin cells behave abnormally.
- Cell turnover decreases causing a build-up of dead compacted skin cells.
- The skin becomes duller, loses its youthful glow and becomes coarser and rougher.
- Reduced collagen and damaged elastin result in fine lines and wrinkles and sagging of the skin.
- Sun damage also causes abnormal pigmentation with clumps of pigment discolouring the surface
Skin Care Essentials To Treat Sun Damage & Ageing
1. SPF 30+ SUNSCREEN
2. Prescription retinoids can reverse photo ageing to give a more youthful appearance.
- Retinoids increase cell turnover, decrease the build-up of dead compacted cells giving the skin a more youthful glow and smoother surface.
- They stimulate collagen production and repair elastin to reduce the depth of wrinkles.
- They decrease skin pigmentation to give a more even skin colour.
Genetics And Sun Damage
Looking at your parents and grandparents will tell you how your skin will age. Some people because of skin colour and other genetic factors are less vulnerable to sun damage and wrinkle formation.
Tip: no matter how good your genetics sun protection is essential to retard the progression of ageing.
No miracle ingredient will make sun damage & wrinkles disappear.
If you want to prevent and treat wrinkles, there are skin products and prescription treatments that will help with skin health and retard the progression of ageing. Other important factors are a healthy diet, sun protection, cessation of smoking.
Are you concerned with facial aging and sun damage? Come in for a free assessment to discuss treatment options.