Skin Needling is a recognised treatment option for Acne Scars. Dermapen skin needling is a treatment that stimulates your skin’s own natural healing ability to remodel collagen to reduce the appearance of acne scars. We have mostly moved over to use radio frequency resurfacing for acne scarring. Called the eMatrix or eTwo it provides consistently better results to provide smoother skin.
To understand how different treatment works to help reduce acne scars and to understand emerging technologies, so you can make the best decision which treatment is right for you, we discuss the range of acne scar treatments.
To fill you in a little on needling for acne scars and how it works.
Dermapen – Skin Needling.
Skin Needling is a recognised treatment option for Acne Scars. It has been used in Cosmetic Medicine for over a decade. The original skin needling was performed with either a tattoo gun or a skin roller.
How Does Skin Needling Improve Acne Scars?
Skin Needling produces deposition of woven collagen, similar to fractional laser treatments but without the side effects and downtime. It is more effective than microdermabrasion and most chemical peels. Skin Needling stimulates collagen growth
under the acne scars to improve the cosmetic appearance of the skin.
What Is Involved In Acne Scar Needling?
- Skin needling is performed with the dermapen
- Topical Anesthetic is used to numb the area
- The fine need penetrates through the surface layer of skin
- The surface layers seals and heals quickly
- The controlled dermal damage result in breaking down of scar collagen
- Growth factors are released which cause your skin to produce new collagen.
- In this way the appearance of acne scarring can be reduced.
Dermapen vs Dermal Rollers
Skin needling was first introduced using dermal rollers when it was observed that needling of scar tissue reduced the scar to give a healthier skin surface.
The Dermapen is a newer technology. With the Dermapen the depth of penetration can be adjusted according to the to scar or skin condition being treated.
Options For Acne Scar Treatment
There are other options for acne scar treatment. The recommended treatment varies depending on the type of scarring and severity.
Skin Needling With Dermapen.
Dermapen is a skin needling treatment for acne scarring and facial rejuvenation.
The original skin needling was with dermal rollers. Dermapen gives a more accurate dermal penetration.
It is best for treating early mild to moderate acne scars. eMatrix or fractional laser resurfacing are alternatives for treating acne scarring.
Dermapen Skin Needling Quick Facts.
- Needling works by breaking down acne scar and stimulating new collagen to fill under scarred areas.
- Dermapen skin needling is non-laser fractional resurfacing
- Skin needling can be used for all skin types (light to dark)
- No referral is required, you can book in for a free assessment.
- Skin needling works by remodelling collagen under the acne scars
How Does Dermapen Skin Needling Improve Acne Scars?
Skin needling was first introduced to cosmetic medicine over 10 years ago. The original dermal rollers provided the first non-laser treatment for acne scars.
The Dermapen evolved from these, providing precise penetration to the dermis up to 2.5mm.
- Skin needling works by creating multiple pin point wounds into the skin.
- The surface seals and heals quickly.
- The healing then happens under the skin.
- The needling helps break down acne scar
- Growth factors are released that cause new collagen to be laid down.
Dermapen Skin Needling Vs Laser For Acne Scars.
Lasers can achieve superior results with acne scarring and better treatment for old and severe scarring.
The advantages of Dermapen skin needling are:
• Less downtime
• Costs much less from 330 per session.
• Can be used on all skin types.
Dermapen Skin Needling Vs eMatrix For Acne Scars.
Dermapen skin needling is a treatment that stimulates your skins natural healing to reduce acne scars. In our practice we now mainly use
eMatrix a sublative radiofrequency for treatment of acne scars. This costs the same as Dermapen treatment.
eMatrix uses radiofrequency to target the dermal layer under acne scarring, releasing the scar tissue and stimulating collagen repair.
This is called collagen induction therapy.
Cost Of eMatrix vs Dermapen Skin Needling?
eMatrix costs $330 per treatment. Four treatments are all that is required. (Some people do need more). The overall cost of eMatrix is about the same as Dermapen Skin Needling. However, the results are faster and fewer treatments are required.
Dermapen Skin Needling Vs PRP For Acne Scars.
What Can Be Treated With Dermapen?
Dermapen skin needling is most commonly used for acne scars however it can also be used in the treatment of:
• Skin texture concerns, fine lines& wrinkles, enlarged pores, sun damaged skin
• Stretch marks
• Chicken pox scars
• Any body or face scar.
How Does Dermapen Skin Needling Reduce Acne Scarring?
- To remodel any scar you need:
Firstly to break down the areas of scar collagen and
Secondly to stimulate new collagen to repair the zones of the scars.
Skin needling achieves this by physically breaking down the scar, causing the release of growth factors which stimulate new collagen production.
What To Expect After Dermapen Skin Needling.
• There will be redness and swelling that last 1-2 days after treatment. Some people with more sensitive skin or with a tendency to swelling this can last longer.
• Bruising is rare but occasionally does occur and can take up to 7 days to subside.
• 3-5 days after the treatment there can be flaking or peeling of the skin, depending on the depth of needling.
The surface of your skin seals and heals quickly, after about a week your skin is pretty much back to normal. Under the skin, the process of collagen remodelling starts. The collagen induction peaks at 12 weeks but can continue for up to 12 months.
How Much Improvement Can I Expect With Skin Needling?
- The results of skin needling are progressive over several treatments.
- Generally 3- 6 treatments are recommended in a package, spaced 6 weeks apart.
- The number of treatments depends on your response to treatments.
The results are individual and can depend on factors such as your general skin health as well as your intake of fresh fruit & vegetables. Taking Vitamin C & Zinc before treatment can improve results.
What can you do to improve the outcome?
- Start on prescription Vitamin A cream at least two weeks before treatment.
- Eat healthy diet with fresh fruit & vegetables.
- Consider taking Vitamin c & Zinc while you are receiving treatment.
What Are The Side Effects Of Dermapen Skin Needling?
Side effects from skin needling are rare but can include:
- Infection. If you have a history of cold sores, we ask you to take prophylaxis beforehand.
- Bruising is rare, this can be lessened by taking arnica before if you tend to bruising, or use of Hirudoid cream once the skin has healed. (after five days)
- Prolonged/delayed swelling is very rare. Swelling can be treated with an antihistamine.
- Depigmentation or hyperpigmentation is also very rare, but can occur.
If there are unexpected outcomes after treatment it is important to call us.
How Much Does Dermapen Skin Needling Cost?
Dermapen small area – both cheeks costs 240
Dermapen Skin Needling large areas costs 330
Is Dermapen Skin Needling Or eMatrix Acne Scar Treatment Best For You?
We offer you a free assessment with our experienced Cosmetic Doctors, Nurses & Dermal Therapists. We will assess your skin and be able to discuss your treatment options.